Monday, December 3, 2012

Self Selected Project: Extended digital text

I designed a xtranormal.com movie for my project. The movie was a conversation based on the play "Raisin in the Sun". The scene is supposed to be a prediction of what happened just after one of the main characters Walter received a large sum of money from his mother. He goes to the bar to discuss plan with some friends that he is planning on going into business with. I learned several things from this process. I learned that Xtranormal has a lot of cool resources to make an animated movie. Students can choose stock characters to tell their story. They can add emotions to the characters, make them move, and make them move.  Before being introduced to this website in class, I really had no idea that a website like this existed. It was fairly easy to use and I think students would have lots of fun using it. There are several pitfalls to this website however. You have to have points to create a movie. You start off with three hundred points and then you have to buy more. There are some things that don't require points but in order to use a lot of resources you have to have points. Another pitfall to this website is the fact that at most only two character can be featured in the movie. This might make it hard for students to portray stories or plays that have more than two characters in them.  The final pitfall would be that fact that the voices are very generic. They sound like a computer voice. However, students do have the opportunity to record their own voices which is kind of cool.
       
         I see myself using this website in several different ways in my classroom. Students could use it to create a new and original story. This is a way to make students have fun with writing and would reach those students who are often reluctant to write. It could also be used in a similar way that I used it. I could ask students to make stories predicting what they think might happen next in a book or what might have happened in a situation that the author failed to cover in detail. One final way I would use this in my classroom is to help students give book reports. Students could choose their favorite seen from a book and create a movie to tell others about their book.

I think I will use many different kinds of digital texts in my classroom. I see myself using blogs for discussion purposes, I want to ask students to create movies using both Xtranormal and YouTube. I think the best way to support students in their endeavors to create digital text is to offer them choices and variety. I think with most of my digital assignments I will allow for a lot of creativity. While I will have certain requirements, the assignments will be open-ended as possible. I would probably evaluate students' projects mostly on effort and time spent. However, their will be some points for meeting the few requirements. I hope to make digital texts an integral part of my classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Wow I have never heard of that website. It seems really cool to be able to make an animated film. It's great that you are already aware of the pros and cons of the website so that you can warn students that want to use it. I think it'll be a lot of fun for them as they see you use it and be able to use it for their own assignments. I'll have to think of a way I could put that in my band class. You'll be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awesome website. I'm curious to see the movie you created. I really like your ideas for having students create their own digital texts. I think offering them a variety of options and giving them opportunities to be creative will help them have an interest in their schoolwork. Making a movie would be way more fun than just reading the book and writing an essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciated your reflection on the limitations of the Xtranormal tool. Having that advanced knowledge of its pitfalls will help you to know when to use it, and when not to use it. You can also warn your students in advance how to "get around" having to spend any money. I look forward to looking at your animation soon!

    ReplyDelete